Future Is Now
- “The Future is Now” is our campaign title and you are all our future. We have a target to raise £1million to allow us lay new pitches and to rebuild our clubhouse. We have started the improvements but still have a long way to go.We are now the largest hockey club in the UK and we aim to be one of the best hockey clubs in Europe, so we need your help. Whether you are a playing member or a social member, an old member, a friend of Surbiton HC, a Colt, a parent, a supplier, or just someone who loves watching hockey, then please log into our “Just Giving” donations page and buy a piece of the action!
- The existing sandbased pitch was laid in 1995, does not meet the current England Hockey regulations and it is well beyond its intended lifespan. This pitch will be removed and a new artificial based pitch will be laid in its place. This will employ the latest in sand-dressed artificial grass technology with run offs that meet updated regulations.
We currently have floodlighting on the waterbased pitch. This has been upgraded. Planning approval has been granted for the installation of permanent floodlighting to the second pitch. Work will commence on this during the summer months and be ready for action in September 2011.
It is intended that the rear of the building housing the changing rooms will be demolished and rebuilt, while the main part of clubhouse is retained on the site. This will be modernised and upgraded to give better kitchen facilities, a more welcoming bar and function room and improved storage.The Club will gain…• 4 male changing rooms/showers
• 4 female changing rooms/showers
• Club office
• Club shop
• First aid/physio room
• PlantroomThe Design• will minimise any additional building within the Green Belt
• will follow existing buildings and boundaries
• will be a sustainable building design
• will minimise any building running costs
- The Idea
At Surbiton Hockey Club we are fortunate to have a clubhouse on our site. However, the facilities are almost 30 years old and are no longer fit for purpose or large enough for the number of players enjoying hockey at Sugden Road. Our existing buildings house the club bar, function room, changing rooms, two squash courts, stores and a first floor flat.The proposed building redevelopment will meet the current and future requirements of Surbiton Hockey Club, as well as meeting the demands of external sporting bodies that use the club for events and matches. Whether we are hosting a national hockey tournament or a local school, we aim to provide them with the very best facilities both on and off the pitch.
What it Means to You
Whether you are a member of the Club or a visitor, the clubhouse will be undoubtedly be an important part of your visit to Sugden Road. We want to ensure that the facilities are right for you.It is intended that the rear of the building housing the changing rooms will be demolished and rebuilt, while the main part of clubhouse is retained on the site. This will be modernised and upgraded to give better kitchen facilities, a more welcoming bar and function room and improved storage.
- Ready To Go!
The Future is Now! It is finally here. After months of discussions and drawings, agonising over finances and gazing at layouts, the campaign is underway.
During discussions it was decided that it would be too costly for the Club and too disruptive for the members if the pitches and the clubhouse were done at the same time. Therefore the plan is to tackle the pitches first, then the clubhouse the following summer:More details about the individual stages will be released as the campaign progresses.Read The Full Planning Document
Please have a read of the full planning application document (PDF):
- The Right Playing EnvironmentSurbiton Hockey Club has two pitches that are used by members throughout the season every weekday evening and on Saturdays and Sundays. The facilities are also hired to external local clubs and schools. With these pitches in constant demand for matches, tournaments, festivals and training at all standards up to international level, it is important that our pitches are maintained to the highest standards. Whether we have an England player or a six year old, we want to ensure that Sugden Road provides the right playing environment.
Resurfacing The Waterbased PitchThe existing waterbased pitch, which was laid in 2001, has now been relaid and recarpeted to meet the requirements of both the Men’s Hockey League, and the Investec Women’s Hockey League . It opened for play on 23rd October 2010.
- Keep watching this website for more details of our fund-raising programme and let's see if we can achieve our targets in record time!
SHC has signed up to the Sport England/Just Giving initiative to make giving to sports clubs simple and painless and allow us to promptly claim Gift Aid tax relief from the Exchequer. The future starts now, so let's start giving….
Surbiton Hockey Club is an England Hockey ClubsFirst accredited Club.
On 17 October the Colts’ section kicked off its fundraising campaign for Surbiton HC’s “Future Is Now” initiative with a “Smarties Fundraising Race.” On 3rd March the results of this were announced and the U16 Girls Cup squad won the competition. A massive £2,248.30 was raised from the 20p pieces in Smarties tubes. Well done everyone in the Colts’ section.
The Challenge is for every team in the Club – from the Men’s 1st XI to the Colts Junior Academy – to raise £1000 or more. Can you motivate your players to raise the money?
We are currently collecting redundant mobile phones – in a box in the bar. These can be recycled for cash, so please put your old phones in the box.Your SkillsCan we use your skills to help this project? If you have prizes your can donate for events, facilities for printing or advertising, contacts in industry, or indeed any other skills that might work for the Club, then please let us know. This is a campaign that should involve every member, so stand up be counted now!
- We Want Your Help!
We need to raise £1 million for this project and we can’t do this without your help!
It is our mission to provide a social and family environment for all to learn and play hockey from grass roots to international level. Surbiton Hockey Club has over 550 Colts members and over 390 adult members. We have 18 senior teams and 19 Colts teams in national and local leagues and we have a number of international players at senior and junior levels. We also have lots of social members who enjoy the game and the community involvement.Support this fund-raising project and work with us to raise funds needed to put Surbiton Hockey Club on the map!
There are many ways to raise money and we welcome them all. A £1 donation is as valuable as a £50,000 donation!
- Donations to the Club
– Donations via “Just Giving” on our SHC website
– Fund-raising events – raffles, cake sales, sponsored walks or hockey matches, parties, car cleaning, quiz nights, auction, coffee morning etc
– Sponsorship of adverts, events
If you have a fundraising idea, then let us know.